VEAL STOCK CHIPS & MAPLE FILETS
1. Preheat oven to 450 °f (230 °c). Place bones on a baking sheet and roast for 10 minutes. Peel and slice onion, carrot and leek (do not use the leek’s green part). slice celery and mushrooms.
2. Place bones in a large pot. cover with water, then bring to a boil. Add in all other ingredients and let simmer on low heat for 90 minutes while skimming once in a while. When done, filter through a sieve (discard all solid ingredients) and let cool down before storing it in the refrigerator.
Veal Stock Chips
3. Reduce 1 cup (250 ml) of veal stock to ¾ cup (190 ml) on low heat. Bring to a boil with agar-agar, then remove from heat immediately.
4. Pour a small amount of the preparation onto a plate and into a thin layer. Tilt the plate as you pour to cover as much surface as possible. Refrigerate the plate for 10 minutes and repeat.
5. Take plates out of the refrigerator and cut veal stock jelly sheets into small rectangles. Dry using a dehydrator or, alternatively, turn the oven on to the lowest setting and cook for 1 hour on a baking sheet, with the oven door partially open.
6. Preheat oven to 350 °f (175 °c). Halve onions, then combine all other ingredients in a large bowl. Coat onions with glaze, then transfer to a large baking sheet, cut side facing up. Cook for 75 minutes, turning once halfway through cooking time.
7. As soon as the onions are in the oven, halve potatoes and garlic, then combine with all other ingredients in a large baking dish. put in the oven, on the same rack as the onions, and cook for the same amount of time, tossing often.
8. When there are only 30 minutes left of cooking time left for onions and potatoes, finely chop shallots. Cover filets in a thin layer of flour, then brown them with butter and oil in a pan. Remove filets from pan and cook in the oven for 16 minutes. let sit for 5 minutes before slicing.
9. While the filets are cooking, use the same pan to brown the shallots in butter. Add in mustard, maple syrup and kumquat juice and simmer for 3 minutes or until the sauce thickens. once the filets are done cooking, cut them, put them back in the pan and toss to coat.
10. Serve the filets on plates with onions, potatoes and veal stock chips.