1 hour 5 min
Almond Liqueur Spheres
1. Warm-up 1 tbs (15 ml) of water and combine with calcium lactate. Stir until the calcium lactate is fully diluted, then combine with liqueur and pour the mixture into small, demi-spherical molds and let sit in the freezer for 1 hour or until the spheres are frozen. (While you wait, make lemon ice shavings.)
2. In a rectangular, flat-bottomed bowl and using a hand blender, dissolve sodium alginate in the remaining water. Let sit for 15 minutes, then warm briefly in a microwave oven.
3. Unmold frozen liqueur spheres in alginate bath. Let sit for 3 minutes while gently stirring once in a while to prevent the spheres from touching.
4. Fill a medium-sized bowl with water. Using a slotted spoon, delicately collect the spheres and briefly rinse them in the water, then remove excess water from each sphere by applying a piece of paper towel on the bottom of the spoon. Reserve.
Lemon Ice Shavings
5. Combine 2 parts water and 1 part lemon juice and pour onto a shallow plate, then place in the freezer for 1 hour. Take out of the freezer just before serving and crack into small pieces.
6. To serve, dress plates with a thin layer of lemon ice shavings, add a pitaya cube, and top with an almond liqueur sphere.