NEW OLD FASHIONED
1 hour 15 min
1. In a pot, bring water to a boil. Pour sugar in and continue boiling, while stirring constantly, until the sugar has completely dissolved and the mixture has thickened just a bit.
2. Remove from heat and let cool down completely, then bottle! You can make as little or as much syrup as you think you’ll require over the next few days.
3. In a bowl and using a spoon, combine simple syrup, cognac, club soda and calcium lactate until the calcium lactate has dissolved, then filter mixture using a sieve. Pour the filtered mixture into small, demi-spherical molds and let sit in the freezer for 1 hour or until the spheres are frozen.
4. In a rectangular, flat-bottomed bowl and using a hand blender, dissolve sodium alginate in water. Let sit for 15 minutes.
5. Unmold frozen cognac spheres in alginate bath. Let sit for 3 minutes while gently stirring once in a while to prevent the spheres from touching.
6. Fill a medium-sized bowl with water. Using a slotted spoon, delicately collect the spheres and briefly rinse them in the water, then remove excess water from each sphere by applying a piece of paper towel on the bottom of the spoon. Reserve.
7. Place a few cognac spheres in a glass. In a cocktail shaker, shake together bourbon and bitters, then pour into the glass and garnish with lemon peel spiral and maraschino cherry.