SPONGE, PEARLS AND POWDER
3 hours 45 min
1. Peel the tomatoes. Use a blender to liquefy the tomatoes into a coulis. Strain the coulis through a sieve and reserve 3⁄4 cup (180 ml) of tomato juice without pulp.
2. In a cylindrical container, use a hand blender to incorporate the COLD SOLUBLE GELATIN into the tomato juice. Let sit for 5 minutes.
3. Pour the mixture into a large oval-bottom bowl. Whip the mixture with a whisk for 10 minutes, as you would for a meringue.
4. Pour the preparation into a flat-bottom container with sides measuring between 3⁄4 and 11⁄2 inches (about 3 cm) in height. Refrigerate for 3 hours.
Balsamic Vinegar Pearls
5. Put the 2 cups of vegetable oil in the freezer for at least 30 minutes.
6. Bring the balsamic vinegar and the AGAR-AGAR to a boil. Remove from the stove and let sit, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
7. Pour the cold oil into a glass measuring no less than 6 inches (15 cm) in height.
8. Fill a pipette with the balsamic vinegar preparation and drip it into the cold oil. Let sit for 2 minutes.
9. Using a sieve, remove the pearls from the oil and rinse them in warm water.
10. Use a blender to mix the basil and the vegetable oil. Let sit for 3 hours.
11. Filter the mixture carefully through a sieve and reserve 1 tbsp (15 ml) of green oil.
12. Using a fork, gradually mix the TAPIOCA MALTODEXTRIN with the green oil until a powder is obtained.
13. Carve out portions of the sponge using a round cookie cutter. If not prepared immediately before serving, refrigerate. Arrange on a plate next to the balsamic vinegar pearls and basil powder.